Leading up to the FY2016/17 national budget speech in June last year, there was a sense among analysts that the Tanzanian Treasury would be presenting an austerity-focused national budget in a bid to restrain the gradual rise in levels of government debt over the past few years. But instead, the Treasury announced a significant public spending increase of 30% year-on-year.
- Political Economy Review: Looming SADC Public Debt Crisis
- Political Economy Review: South African Finance Minister Nene’s Resignation, Or Not
- Political Economy Review: South African Job Summit
- Political Economy Review: Basotho Opposition Pulls Out of SAPMIL
- Understanding the South African Stimulus Package